Every great story has to start somewhere… But that first step can be a real doozy!
Whether you need to tie your tale into a project, event, release or for digital marketing reasons, or simply because a great opportunity has come your way, you’re gonna have to ask yourself some questions to make sure you do right by the idea.
So, if you're planning some branded editorial content or producing digital content, we’ve got some self-interrogation pointers that will help make sure your metaphorical acorn grows into a mighty (and also metaphorical) oak…
The discovery phase
- What are you trying to achieve?
- Who do you want to reach?
- What’s the message you’re trying to get out there?
- Most importantly… What's the story you want to tell?
The story-developing phase
- What format should you use to best tell your story?
- Are you thinking words, short stories, images, video, podcast, infographic... 360 drone footage?
- What’s the budget?
- Is that budget realistic for your big idea?
- If not, can you find more internal budget or via a partner?
- If not, is your idea scalable?
The commissioning phase & the art of storytelling
- Do you know the right people to tell your story?
- If not, do you know the people who know the people?
- If you don’t know the people (or know the people who know the people), did you know Very Tall are the people?
- Do you have a solid idea of deliverables to promote the project on all your platforms – social included?
- Do you need a production service agreement, statement of work, artist agreement, location agreement, filming permit, appearance waiver, music licence (or licence waiver), tech spec or call sheet?
- Do you know how to get the above paperwork signed off?
The delivery phase
- Have you set a deadline for previews, revisions and final delivery?
- Have you ascertained how many rounds of revisions you will get?
- Have you budgeted for extra revision costs if not?
- Do you know which format you require your deliverables to be delivered in? Does your production partner?
The publication phase
- Do you have a publishing roll-out plan?
- Do you have a social media amplification plan in place?
- Have you arranged for your content subjects and production partners to share your posts?
- Have you considered a schedule to ensure long-lasting impact of the project?
The ‘morning-after’ phase
- Did the project turn out how you envisioned it?
- What would you do differently if you could do it again?
- Did it have the impact you hoped for?
- What’s your next big idea?
If all this seems overwhelming, don't worry Very Tall are here to help. Let's talk and get your story started.